Join me for 6 days and 5 nights -- fully dedicated to you and your writing -- in
a cozy, beachfront home on the Gulf of Mexico
The Story Camp Women's Writing Retreat provides structured and unstructured time, with optional writing and creativity workshops, surrounded by plenty of time for writing, reading, resting, and de-stressing.
Most importantly, you will have quiet, focused time for your unique creative expression in a safe, encouraging, and supportive environment. Each Story Camp retreat is limited to 9 participants.
Structured time will include mini-workshops, typically 1½ to 2 hours each. Since I strive to meet writers where they are in experience and skills, the frequency, schedule, and topics for the mini-workshops are tailored to the needs of attendees. These sessions are held around the dining room table, in the living space, and/or outside on the decks, weather permitting.
You don't have to be a published or seasoned author to attend Story Camp. All genres and experience levels are welcome. Many aspects of writing are not genre-dependent, so the mini-workshops are designed to support whatever type of writing you do. Topics change from year-to-year depending on participant needs. We will touch on creativity, as well as the life of a writer--the author mindset, what it takes to be a writer, author habits, and best practices.
Your Personal Writing Time
Some participants come with a work-in-progress, some come seeking inspiration for their next work, while others are there to journal and go within. Prompts are available for those who like to use them. Allow your muse to lead you where he/she/it may.
Mostly, come with a deep interest in self-expression, an eagerness to put words on the page, and a desire to benefit from being in community with other women writers.
Our Fabulous House
Story Camp takes place in a lovely private beachfront home on St. George Island, Florida, (SGI) in the Gulf of Mexico. The common areas of our house provide spacious places for our workshops, meals, socializing, and sharing circles, as well as comfy spots for quiet writing time.
Bedrooms are cozy and private. Four kings, beachfront; two queens and two twin rooms, island-side; and four bathrooms comfortably accommodate up to ten women (including me!). Watch the spectacular SGI sunrises from the upper deck or take the short boardwalk off the lower deck to the picnic table in the pavilion. Just a few more steps and you're on the spectacular sands of the SGI beach.
St. George Island is a 28-mile-long, 5.25-mile-wide, quiet, barrier island surrounded by the Apalachicola Bay and the Gulf of Mexico. It is one of the last inhabited, yet largely unspoiled, barrier islands in Florida. Miles of white, sandy beaches stretch from the Dr. Julian G. Bruce St. George Island State Park and Campground, beyond the SGI lighthouse, to Sikes Cut and Little St. George at the other end of the island.
Franklin County has a "Leave No Trace" ordinance for all beaches so the public beach spaces on the island are pristine. You can participate in the group walks or enjoy the beaches on your own at any time during the retreat.
Nearby Apalachicola is a charming coastal town, with art galleries, a walking tour, a quaint, locally owned bookstore, and many local seafood restaurants. In the heart of The Forgotten Coast, Apalachicola offers an authentic taste of the few remaining historic villages that dot this portion of the Florida Panhandle coast.
Planned and spontaneous group outings to Apalach, as the locals call it, have happened more than once during past Story Camp retreats. Sometimes they even include a fun writing activity.
STORY CAMP is for you if:
- you need to escape from your everyday demands to write in peace and quiet without interruptions and obligations.
- you want greater clarity about your writing ideas, and some tools and techniques to keep you writing when you get back home.
- you have any type of writing project to start or finish.
- you would simply like to escape and unplug from your day-to-day so you can refresh your creative spirit.
- Lodging for 6 days/5 nights in a spacious Gulf-front beach house
- All breakfasts (Wednesday thru Sunday)
- Three lunches (Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday)
- Four dinners (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday)
- Beverages and tasty snacks
- All workshops, instruction, writing sessions, and sharing circles
What Isn't Included:
- Air and ground transportation to/from the retreat house
- Personal, medical, or trip cancellation insurance
- One lunch and one dinner (on our optional outing day)
- Souvenir, gift, and other shopping
- Activities or outings not specifically listed or organized by the retreat leader
Your Accommodations Options
Attendance is limited to 9 women for each Story Camp.
Your choice of a king, queen, or twin bed, based on availability at the time you register. King and queen rooms are single occupancy; twin bedrooms are double occupancy.
King Room, beachfront - $1629
Queen Room, island-side - $1397
Twin Room, island-side - $1,099
- Cancellation made 120+ days before retreat: full refund.
- Cancellation made 120 to 91 days before retreat: refund of all money paid, less deposit.
- Cancellation 90 to 61 days before retreat: if your spot remains unfilled, you'll receive a refund of 50% of money paid above the deposit. If your spot is filled, 100% of money paid is refundable.
- Cancellation 60 days or less before retreat: if your spot remains unfilled, no refund; if your spot is filled, 100% refund.
- All cancellations must be received in writing by email.
- Any refunds due would be made within 14 days after completion of the retreat.
- Trip insurance is always recommended whenever making travel plans. I suggest Travel Guard Insurance or Seven Corners, both of which offer several policy options. Also, many credit card companies offer travel coverage.
- I reserve the right to cancel the retreat if it does not meet the minimum requirement. If such cancellation were necessary, your deposit would be refunded in full or could be applied toward a future Story Camp retreat.
I'm your retreat leader Gina Hogan Edwards, a Certified Creativity Coach, writer, editor, and founder of Women Writing for Change. I offer a guiding hand to writers and share my knowledge with the heart of a teacher.
Even though writing is a solitary endeavor, I want you to know you never have to travel this journey alone. Together, we can navigate this path with joy and fulfillment and create a writing practice based on your own desires and visions, not the expectations of others. Whether you want to establish a new writing practice, write as a hobby, or are a professional author, I'm traveling this writer's journey with you.
Still have questions? Contact me by email or phone: 850-766-6029.